May 17, 2007

Imperial Presidency and Some Food for Thought

The United States, today, suffers from a plethora of public ills. Most of them can be traced to the militarism and imperialism that have led to the near-collapse of our Constitutional system of checks and balances. This got me thinking about what this Presidency has been all about.
Bush and Cheney have had the most secretive Presidency since Nixon.
Below are several articles that I have been looking at and found to be interesting and thought you might to.

I know that this Presidency is almost at an end, thankfully, but do you really think that this upcoming election and the resulting new President is going to change anything? I don't think it really is going to change much at all.

In My View of It we have allowed the President's since JFK to have entirely too much power, almost like we have been lulled and hypnotized by our own apathy, I doubt if that is going to change as we move forward. Have you heard any of the Candidates talk about bringing this Country back to the Constitution because I sure haven't.

"The aim of the party out of power is not to cut the presidency down to size but to seize it, not to reduce the prerogatives of the executive branch but to regain them."

Imperial Presidency
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can We End the American Empire Before It Ends Us?
By Chalmers Johnson, Tomdispatch.com

Brilliant historian and essayist Chalmers Johnson argues that unless we face up to the tremendous strain our empire is having on America, we will lose our democracy, and then it will not matter much what else we lose. Read more »

Can the President of the United States arrest any American he suspects of being a terrorist and toss him in a military brig, deny him a lawyer, omit to bring any charges against him -- yet indefinitely keep him imprisoned nonetheless?
Can the President kidnap foreigners charged with violating federal law, and bring them to the United States to stand trial? How about Osama bin Laden, for starters?
These are only a few of the issues raised by cases now pending before the U.S. Supreme Court that will examine the limits of presidential powers. As David Savage, the legal writer for the Los Angeles Times, has noted, this is a remarkable collection of cases.
How President Bush Is Testing the Limits of His Presidential Powers

Read a Related Post by Ev Nucci Here: What Bush, Cheney, Blair, Wall Street and business could learn from Aristotle and Einstein. Admit your mistakes you idiot!

Sphere: Related Content

9 comments:

One Wacky Mom said...

Beautiful! I am with you on this one. 100% Check out what I wrote on Resource Economics and tell me what you think

One Wacky Mom said...

Carol,
I miss you!

Carol said...

Hi Ev,
Good to see you as always. You don't have to miss me anymore. I am going to be Posting regularly again. I missed you too!

Don Thieme said...

Right on! I was amazed that noone thought it curious to see the president courting Queen Elizabeth II as one royal to another.

One Wacky Mom said...

Hey dear,
Glad you got such a chuckle out of Murphy's Law. And thanks for the link here on Resource Economics. I'm going to go do that thing right now.

And I meant what I said in the note I left. Plan on it. We would have a blast!

Carol said...

Hi Don,
I really think that we as a People have come to accept just about anything with no questions asked.
Thanks for the visit and the comment. Always good to see you stopping by with something provocative to add.

Carol said...

Ev,
We will do it as soon as it warms up. You are welcome for the link :) Have fun this weekend!

seaeaglesrule said...

A very thought-provoking post. I think probably the greatest gift the next president could give to the American people would be to put forward a constitutional amendment reducing the powers of the President. In my country of Australia the head of state, the Governor-General, does not participate in the legislative process aside from signing off on legislation passed by the parliament. It is almost unheard of for any legislation to be sent back as it is accepted that the parliament is the elected government, and thus it is the representative of the people. The Governor-General is more of a figurehead, and we have a very stable political system because of it.

Carol said...

Hi Sea Eagle,
How nice to see you here. I agree, that would be the greatest gift the next President could give. I think Bush just vetoes anything that he disagrees with, whether it is in our best interest or not.
Thanks for your visit and your well thought out comment. I appreciate it so much.

Save a life, gain a buddy - dogsindanger.com