Jul 2, 2007

WTF!! President Bush Commutes Libby's Sentence

President Bush Commutes Libby's Sentence
By Amy Goldstein
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, July 2, 2007; 7:28 PM

"With the denial of bail being upheld and incarceration imminent, I believe it is now important to react to that decision," Bush said in a statement issued by the White House early this evening. Although the president said he "respected" the jury's verdict, he added that he had "concluded that the prison sentence given to Mr. Libby is excessive."

GRANT OF EXECUTIVE CLEMENCY
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Washington D.C.
July 2, 2007

A PROCLAMATION
WHEREAS Lewis Libby was convicted in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia in the case United States v. Libby, Crim. No. 05-394 (RBW), for which a sentence of 30 months' imprisonment, 2 years' supervised release, a fine of $250,000, and a special assessment of $400 was imposed on June 22, 2007;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, pursuant to my powers under Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, do hereby commute the prison terms imposed by the sentence upon the said Lewis Libby to expire immediately, leaving intact and in effect the two-year term of supervised release, with all its conditions, and all other components of the sentence.
IN WITNESS THEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this second day of July, in the year of our Lord two thousand and seven, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-first.
GEORGE W. BUSH
Source: White House

President Bush is apparently micromanaging the Judicial System once again proving that it isn't what you know - but who you know.
I had known something like this would happen but I really thought it was going to be a pardon, not clemency. So in my view of it, not even in this case will Bush allow the White House to be held accountable for anything that has gone on. I think Libby was more of a "fall guy" than anything else, still, I am truly shocked and disgusted that Bush chose to go this way on this issue. Just more disillusionment for us from our "president."

Jeff Herz - My View of the World said...
How could you not see this coming. I just surprised that he was not pardoned as well. It gives the expression taking one for the team a whole new meaning, when you really don't have to do the time if you commit the crime

Sphere: Related Content

4 comments:

Jeff Herz said...

How could you not see this coming. I just surprised that he was not pardoned as well.

It gives the expression taking one for the team a whole new meaning, when you really don't have to do the time if you commit the crime

Carol said...

Hi Jeff,
Nice to see you. I know I really didn't see it coming. I was thinking a pardon. Clemency never entered my mind.

Dave J. said...

Lame. I feel like our government is more corrupt than the mafia.

Carol said...

Hi Dave,
You know it is tempting to compare our Government to the Mafia but it really isn't so. The Mafia has a code of conduct :::wink:::
Nice to see you Dave.
Hugs,
Carol

Save a life, gain a buddy - dogsindanger.com